Thursday, June 30, 2011

Embarking on a new journey...

So...as we all know...my exercise habits have not been up to par. I find excuses and I lack motivation (which is quite possibly the understatement of the year). But I do WANT to be more active. Really...I do! I am tired a lot and I know that regular activity will boost my energy. It will also help my weight loss and make my body look significantly better.

So...how do I find the motivation?

Well, I think I may have found...well, not a solution...but something that will kick my butt into gear.

I am (if I get up the guts) going to be entering into the Dirty Girl Mud Run.

The Dirty Girl Mud Run is a 5K challenge that will take place on September 26th. It is not only a 5K (3.2 miles seems challenging enough) but it also includes 10 obstacles. All the proceeds go towards breast cancer research which is even cooler. To read more about it or view the course you can visit the website at: http://www.godirtygirl.com/. Sounds both super fun and extremely terrifying!

A friend of mine, Carla, actually posted about it on our dear friend Facebook. I love dirty fun challenges and I have always been interested in being involved with something like this but have never been in shape or ballsy enough. After really thinking about and looking at the track over and over again...I have decided I am going to try and do it!

There are a lot of pros and cons to this plan of mine...

Happy Things
  • There is no time involved...no time limit...no race...just good ole' dirty fun.
  • It is designed for "women of all fitness levels" (not sure that I fit into any fitness level at the moment but I hope to soon enough).
  • It would be extremely rewarding to know that I completed a 5K.
  • The obstacles are "optional"...I can skip any that I feel uncomfortable with (though I don't want to skip).
  • I would be doing this with other people who are working towards weight loss goals too, making it less likely that I will feel like I'm holding my team back.
  • Mud! Enough said :)
Scary Things
  • Can you say 5K!?!
  • It costs $65 to register...I don't have $65...I may be looking for sponsors...
  • Wall climb obstacle...I am TERRIFIED of climbing things, jumping from things, and high things...not sure about this.
  • I don't know if I've ever gone 3.2 miles at one time.
  • I only have 11 weeks to train...and I'll be on vacation for one of those.
  • I'm a wimp...and just plain nervous...
I think I've determined that the happy things outweigh the good even though the scary things seem to be at the front of my mind more often. But I really want to do this and I believe this could be the kick in the pants that I have so desperately been needing.

To prepare for this, I am going to start a program called Couch To 5K. You can get the program for free (or pay the $19.95 for the full thing but I don't have a smart phone so I don't need it) online. It basically trains you from being a couch potato to being capable of running a 5K in only 9 weeks. It is a set of 30 minute exercises, 3 days a week. Nothing outrageous...but steady and challenging...just what I need. I'm also enlisting a co-worker for some strength training tips as he just did the Tough Mudder (a 10 mile, Marine style, WAY more difficult version of Dirty Girl).

So...here goes nothing...I start C25K on Monday...wish me luck...

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great goal steef!! You'd be surprised how motivating a deadline is!! i loved the couch to 5K program - it's great. It starts out with like 30 second or 90 second runs and you're like "wtf, no way can i run that long... and in two weeks you want me to run for FIVE minutes?!?!" (okay i'm guestimating on the times and stuff) BUT then when it comes time, you run for 5 minutes and it's not that hard! Plus if you are struggling w/ a length of time, you can just repeat that run!

    Also, if you want a buddy on the run, let me know! I've been wanting to sign up for one but am too chicken to do it on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO IT!!!

    Don't be nervous about the scary things, a lot of those are totally manageable. Also in these races they are mainly about fun and just finishing. For the most part the obstacles are optional, and just for self glory-so if you can't tackle the wall, skip it :) You will see people on the course that entered just to follow their friends and take pictures.

    Good luck! I hope to see a blog post that recaps this race!!!

    ReplyDelete