Friday, June 3, 2011

Yummy New Cooking Adventures

So, since starting WW, I have made a strong effort to cook as often as possible. I've always loved to cook but for some reason, I rarely did it. Now when I say cook, I mean really cook...not heat something frozen, throw together a boxed meal (like mac&cheese or hamburger helper), or heat up soup. When I started, I purchased myself a nice set of pots and pans (my old ones were in need of replacement anyway) and I swore to myself that I would use them! So I thought, as a bit of a change up, I would post some of the wonderful new meals I've made and/or plan on making in the near future.

Pan-seared chicken in garlic sauce
**This was so amazing! You sear the chicken (that has been seasoned with lots of yummy spices) in a hot skillet, then add in whole garlic cloves and chicken broth. Finish it in the oven, take out the chicken, and crush the garlic until you can mix it all up into a sauce. I served it with roasted red potatoes and steamed broccoli. Probably my favorite dish I've made so far!**

Spice-rubbed pork chops
**I buy boneless pork chops at Sam's Club in a large pack but I've always had a hard time figuring out what to do with them (I didn't enjoy pork for a long time so it is pretty new to my kitchen). The rub is made up of brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. You just rub the chops well and bake them until done. I served this with sauteed zucchini and yellow squash and loaded mashed potatoes (instant...ya, I know that's not really cooking but they tasted delightful).**

Chicken with mushrooms and rice
**I made this last night and while it was good, my mushrooms weren't the freshest (thinking back I probably should have just tossed them but at least I didn't get sick) so that did effect the flavor a little bit. Anyway, you brown the chicken in the skillet until cooked. Remove it and saute celery, leeks, and mushrooms (the recipe called for carrots but that sounded gross to me)...when they are almost done, add a chopped tomato and some white wine. Let the wine cook down and then add the chicken, instant wild rice (I just used Rice-a-roni), and chicken stock. Simmer for 25 minutes...and you have a delicious meal!**

Chicken sausage with spaghetti squash
**So this is my dinner plan for tonight and I'm really excited about it because I came up with it on my own instead of using a recipe. I went to Sunflower Market for the first time this week and fell in love! Cheap, fresh produce and awesome sales! Anyway, they had chicken sausage on sale and, while I have never had it, it sounds pretty good. They had a bunch of varieties...I picked one that has spinach and feta cheese in it! Yum! So my plan is to cook the sausage and slice it thinly. Then I'm going to saute it real quickly with spaghetti squash (already cooked of course), tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and possibly some more feta (depending on how strong the flavor is in the chicken). I'm really excited to try it!**

If anyone else has awesome recipes to share, please feel free! I'm always up to try new ones (I have a whole binder of recipes that I am waiting to try) and I'll post any successes I have! Happy Friday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment