Saturday, July 16, 2011

Groceries!!

So I've been really low on groceries the last few weeks...we have been maintaining a small amount of fruit and veggies but really haven't been stocked up the way I like. We had run out of most vegetables (with the exception of carrots) and only had cherries and apples for fruit...we were out of ground turkey and almost out of lunch meat. Thankfully (thought somewhat regrettably) I did not have to pack lunches all week thanks to training at the new job.

Today I went CRAZY at the grocery stores (rather stores considering I hit 3). I spent over $200 (it was actually closer to $300...yikes!)...and I don't think I've been this well stocked in quite some time. Our fridge and freezer are completely full...it took some serious tetris-like skills to fit everything in. I did go over my grocery budget by about $70 so I do have some financial maneuvering to do...but I am thrilled to have a nice stock of food.

I am excited because I bought a few items I haven't had before. I got eggplant, mozzarella and roasted garlic chicken sausage, and Flat-outs. We made the chicken sausage on the grill and put them on hot dog buns with sauteed onion and red and green bell pepper. They were quite good and really low in points (the sausage is 3 pts per link and the buns are only 2 pts)! I plan on trying to roast the eggplant...or maybe do something like eggplant parm. Flat-outs are a type of wrap...people on the WW message boards talk about them all the time. They are supposed to be really low in points and really versatile. I got two packages because it was buy one get one free.

There were a few things that I had to skip on but I'm hoping to be able to pick them up when I get paid from my new job in about two weeks. I am going to need more pork chops and chicken...I also really want to try polenta, quiona, Vitatops, and kale. I have heard that polenta and quiona are really versatile and can add some heartiness to meals quite easily. Vitatops are a type of muffin product...they are relatively low on points and I found a recipe for whoopie pies using Vitatops and fat free Cool Whip...low point desserts are always good finds! I also learned from the WW boards that people make kale chips...they toss them in olive oil and salt and them roast them until crispy. I'm trying really hard to expand my options and get creative with snacks and meals.

This week has been a bit off in terms of eating...well...I'd say that is probably an understatement. I've eaten a supplied lunch every day this week. I did everything I could to eat as healthy as possible given the circumstances. Thursday and Friday were relatively easy because they had boxed lunches...I had a turkey sandwich on wheat (with American cheese one day...I peeled it off on Friday), some potato chips, and an apple...I brought the brownie home for Kyle both days even though it looked delicious!

I only worked out once this week...and it wasn't great. I was walking and jogging but my back hurt really badly. It started to run down my hip and shin...it hurt just to walk. So I ended up walking for about 17 min and only jogging for about 3 min. I then lifted some weights for about 5-10 minutes. I think I am going to try and go see a chiropractor soon...see if maybe an alignment will help my back problems. After that, I didn't work out...my schedule was so crazy. I think things will settle out next week and I have plans on hitting my exercise goals.

 I'm hoping my weight will go down this week but I'm a bit unsure. With things so out of whack, it is a toss up. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. I love quinoa and polenta. I boil polenta on the stove and put a piece of grilled chicken on top with spaghetti sauce and a little bit of parmesean cheese!

    ReplyDelete